Monday, January 26, 2015

why?

I am now beginning to fill my computer with a description of a universe. Gradually, I will build it up until it contains a giant library, extensive labs, and probably other things, things, I say. To explore this universe I do not need to have anything to do with data ... I look at and create things, in space.

Let's add something. Computer, I want to create a line segment perpendicular to that square we just created beginning at one of its corners. Computer could say "this square?" and point the camera at the square it thinks I'm referring to. Yes, that one. Well, which corner? Lower left, please. Do you want it to extend back or forward? Back, please. And the length? 2000 feet.

Computer, I would like to use the line I just created and the bottom edge of the first square to define a white triangular face. (Two line segments intersecting at endpoints and not parallel to each other define a triangular face. If an endpoint of one line segment is on another line segment by not at the endpoint of that other line segment and the two line segments are not parallel, a triangular face is still defined. Two crossing line segments define a rectangular face.)

This is just cad. In normal cad if we wanted to say "make this face clear instead of white" we would click on it to identify what face we mean, and if we wanted to add a line segment from the end point of another line segment, we would click on that other line segment, and so on. The question is, why is this practically the last thing we see when we get a computer? It should be the very first thing we see. Then, from the very beginning of our experience with that computer it would begin to fill with space, our space, space we create. Strangely, it is much, much easier to explore space than it is to explore, say, lists of things.