Monday, January 26, 2015

fundamental assumption

If it was just assumed, in computer design, that everyone was going to use their computers to create their own universes, the usefulness of our computers would dramatically increase. A universe is space, and space is defined by things in it and the distances between them. I can describe a very large universe using a very small number of words.

A discovery: I have to start somewhere, and the logical place is with the computer screen. It's a flat surface with very precisely defined dimensions. It defines space itself. I can now say, hypothetically, that the screen is the film in a camera. This defines a physical object near and around and incorporating the screen. Think of it as a pyramid extending towards you from the corners of the screen. I can now say "put a star on the screen, at %70%70, 10 light years from the point of the camera pyramid. Give that star the same size and luminosity as the sun."

I have now completely and precisely defined a vast amount of space.

I can say "put a square in this space, colored white, width four foot sides, and parallel to the screen. Put its center at screen center, and place it actually on the screen. Now, move it back along the camera's angle of view, 30 feet. Now move it so its center aligns with %30%40.

I can now say "Move the camera. First move it up ten feet. Now, point it down 20degrees." I would now see the square I just created from a different angle.