Thursday, January 22, 2015

giving

I made huge progress today. As per the usual story it started out with me not being able to do what I wanted to do. My system wasn't working. I was trying to build a page that showed or sort of guided you through all sorts of stuff using HTML and JavaScript, but I just couldn't do it. And I'm pretty sure that's because, like I've been saying, I don't have an interface.

I can move around the page (using an interface), which is really cool, but I can't post to the page using an interface. I need to create an interface, and, in order to do that, I need to describe what I want to create to someone who knows certain things I haven't figured out in a way they will be able to make sense of. And, to do that, I need to put things on web pages, and to do that it seems I need an interface. Coding pages by hand isn't any longer cutting it.

Well, I do have access to a posting interface, or any number of them, but certainly one of my favorites, my standby, is Blogger, and here I am at blogger, using the interface for posting. So nice, so smooth, so slick!

But, I know, if I write long posts, no one will ever read them. So, I'm writing short posts. Short posts, people will read. Damn it, if its a short post, a person will read it. Maybe they'll go "that was boring, and stupid," but they'll have read it. They might even read the next post.

What's so different about a post, versus a paragraph? It's partly, I think, that when I'm writing a post I feel I need to write something quite complete, even though it will only be a few lines long. It makes me think about how to do that, and that feels like it really leads to places. But this also goes to what I was saying, that people don't read the Internet the way they read a book. They can't, and we can't expect them to. Something's gotta give.