Wednesday, October 1, 2014

thoughts

According to the Church of Religious Science, your life conforms to what you think. It takes the shape of what you think. So, if you think something like "something's missing in my life", a thought I pretty much continuously have, if what the church says is true, it's because I often think that way that something is missing in my life, and if I continuously think "my life is perfect and complete", that will be the case.

It's very normal for thoughts to just come and go in our minds, and the appearance of it is we don't have much control over that. But we can control our thoughts. It's easy to deliberately think a thought. If I want to think the thought "my life is perfect and complete", I can do that. All I need to do is mentally say those words, and I've thought that thought.

But thoughts do come and go on their own. I do often think, out of habit, I guess, "something's missing", or, "I want to accomplish that thing, but I'm unlikely to do it." I've been thinking about what to write about this, and I had the thought that maybe I shouldn't write that I had a thought like "something's missing." Writing that I had that thought, I have to write the thought, and when I write a thought, I think it. Maybe in my writing I should just write pure fantasy, in which every thought I record represents something I do want in my life. It's an interesting thought.

Still, I have thoughts that describe things I wish weren't part of my life, and just trying to deny that, trying to stop those thought completely (one way to put it), not reporting that I have such thought, since I'm writing, since I'm reporting, sounds, oh, questionable. I'm reminded that another part of my philosophy, a personal rule, for me, a principle which I rather trust, warns against trying to kill bad things. There's a place for killing. I don't know a lot of people who don't eat, and to eat, we pretty much always kill something. I think it's extreme to say we're doing a bad thing when we kill something to eat it. The problem with killing things because we think they're bad is, it means we're being hateful. What if we could take something like, say, a cancer, and, instead of trying to kill it, soothe it, basically by loving it. What is this thing, love? It's like x-ray vision. We're looking into something, or some one, and seeing its feelings. The cancer is, perhaps, lonely. The cells in it are lonely. Nobody cares about them, and nobody loves them. If the cancer's causing you problems, look into it, with your feelings, look at the cells in it, with your feelings, and say something soothing to them, like "I do care about you, I do think you have a right to live, I'm trying to understand your needs, and I'm not going to attack you." I suspect that's a good way to approach things.

So, if I have thoughts that seem "off", and I think it's relevant to my writing - talking about that - I think I'll just go ahead and report those thoughts. I mean, it could be argued they are trying to alert me to something. They are independent parts of my mind, perhaps a bit panicky, perhaps a bit immature, childish, but they are concerned. It's probably a good idea to pay attention.

What came to me this morning, a few minutes ago, thinking about this, was, I can report a thought, if I want, and then change it. I reported feeling like something's missing, and I changed the thought to "it's complete", and thought that. I wonder what would happen if I thought "it's complete" over and over.